11/27/13 - 12/7/13
Shwedagon Pagoda is (like the Taj Mahal) a top man made site. A gold Buddhist temple in Yangon, it is not to be missed. Thank you to previous Myanmar travelers Jessica M, Linda, Don and my parents for getting that through my thick skull! Once I saw it, I knew what everybody was talking about. Dave & I explored the Pagoda before sunrise, allowing us to see the recording of the daily prayer procession televised nationally and a helpful monk helped explain what we were looking at.
Also in Yangon, we:
- Took the $1 3 hour circular train, allowing us to see a vast swath of the city quickly (thanks to Jessica for this recommendation!)
- Toured the Sule Pagoda (near our May Shan Hotel where my parents also stayed on their 1 night cruise stop in Myanmar). This allowed Dave & me to discover that we were both born on Mondays, thanks to a very big book that a monk was carrying. In result, we paid respects to the Tiger, who is associated with Mondays.
- Bought Dave a "skirt"! We enjoyed the lack of haggling generally required throughout Myanmar, as we were given fair prices during our initial inquiry of the cost (not the case in China, India, Vietnam, etc.).Dave bought a logee, or a skirt that most men wear there. My man looks good, even in a skirt. (Below, he strikes a pose.)
- Stopped in the Myanmar Shalom office to tour much of Myanmar; much thanks to Linda & Don for this hot travel tip.
- Hopped on a 10 hour overnight bus to Bagan.